Kids and Pets Safety
Kids love dogs, and dogs love kids. However, this doesn’t always mean there are a good mix. Even the most trustworthy of pets can be harmful to your kids. Young children do not understand that they may be upsetting your pet as well. That is why it is important to understand how to keep them both safe. Here are some safety tips for your kids and pets.
- Always supervise your child when they are with an animal. Accidents can happen even with a pet that you trust.
- When petting an animal remind your child to pet gently and do not pull or tug on the animal.
- Never approach an animal from behind. Make sure the animal can see clearly that your child is not harmful.
- Tell your child to try not to put their hands in a dog’s face aggressively, but to gently approach the dog.
- Make sure your child does not touch a dog when there are eating, as these are times when they are easily excitable.
- Never let your child walk a dog alone. Make sure you are always there to supervise.
- Teach your kids to not pull anything out of your dog’s mouth, you never know how the dog could react.